Friday, October 1, 2010

Need Counseling?

"My Counselor not only listens but can also extend forgiveness.  He not only guides but also leads by example. His office hours are eternal, you never need an appointment, and His invoices are always marked, 'Paid in Full.'" -Higgs

What a Ride!
We are getting close to starting month #3 with our foreign exchange student, Amira, from the Philippines.  We love her and she loves us; it is a God thing the way we were put together.  Having expanded my world to embrace and care for a teenage girl in addition to two young boys, my prayer life has accelerated and my dependency on God has grown.  And now as we look forward to, Lord willing, keeping her in our family the entire school year, we must rely on God to supply much needed wisdom. 

Recently, I was jarred from my sleep in the wee hours of the morning.  And before I could focus enough to read the clock, my mind was buzzing with troubles.  While I was lying there thinking of one problem, sorrow and burden after another, I started to feel like someone was piling heavy bags of garbage on top of me.  It was coming dangerously close to cutting off my oxygen supply.  I know enough about God and about the Bible to understand that as a Christian, a follower of Jesus, there is every reason not to live like this.

The Burden Lifter
A familiar verse crossed my mind, "Casting all your care on Him, for He cares for you" I Peter 5:7.  Wonderful. ... uh .. uh ... Uh .... UH .. UH .. UUUHHHHhhh.  My burdens didn't budge.  After trying a few times, I gave up.  You think I'm a spiritual sissy?  A worldly wimp?!  I cried out to God and admitted my weakness. "Um, God, can You PLEASE take my burden - I'm too weak to cast it 2 inches."  Sadly, I lay there half believing (or maybe 3/4) that God would really do it.  Pathetic.  Knowing my sad lack of faith I confessed it to God and hoped for a miracle.

I must've fallen asleep somewhere along the line, because I woke up surprisingly refreshed.  It was a busy day, but not unbearable; I was joyfully tackling my to-do list.  That evening, nearly 24 hours after my close shave with suffocation, I was pleasantly startled to realize that I had not once through the day thought of one of those burdens that about did me in the night before!  I felt peaceful, my burden lifted, and my spirit loved by God. I immediately humbled myself before God in awe and worship.  He is the burden taker.  He is my Counselor.  Need a Counselor?  Try Jesus.  He won't disappoint.  And if it makes any difference, I'll gladly be a reference for my Lord and my God!

P.S.
Take a moment the next time you take a walk or look out the window to ponder John 15:5 - "I am the Vine (Jesus), you are the branches.  He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing."  If you don't live near a vineyard, take time to study a tree, a bush, a plant.  Unless someone comes by with clippers, those branches are going to stay attached to the base of the plant.  Perhaps a swarm of insects will compromise the health of the foliage, or a forest fire overcome and burn it all to ashes, but these scenarios are unlikely. 

Realistically, unless something extreme happens, as long as the plant receives enough sunlight and moisture, it is going to grow and be fruitful.  Sometimes I must look a sight - a branch that is panic stricken as though going through a deadly drought, scared I'm not going to get the nourishment I need - when all the time I am ONE with the most luscious, indestructible Vine imaginable.  Remember who you are, dear Sister.  Remember Who you  belong to ... go to Him for counsel when life threatens to overwhelm.  It is only there with Him that you can find what you need to bloom. 

"For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given; and the government shall be upon His shoulder.  And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6

No comments: