Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Psalms: One Woman's Quest, One Psalm at a Time

This is one woman's quest to compile a concise hand's-on study of the Psalms. I'd like you to come along with me as I survey the book of Psalms, one Psalm at a time. We could spend days, weeks, even months studying just one Psalm - but, I have to have supper ready by 5:30. So, with God as our Guide, would you like to join me?

SCOPE of This Study
1. Realistically, I plan to cover one Psalm per week.  It may be more, hopefully not less.  Some Psalms are so lengthy that I will divide the study into two or three weeks. 
2. I will post the Psalm of the week every Monday (unless we have another broken arm or other non-preventable memory-in-the-making occurance in our household).
3. Since I can't promise (in good conscience) that I'll get all the way through to 150, my goal is to begin with Psalm 1-10.  I'd love to go all the way through to 150 ... we'll see how it goes.

GOALS for This Study
1. To develop a 10 word (or less) summary statement for each Psalm, taken from a common language nutshell, so that I will be able to quickly find what I need for myself and others.
2. To stand at the peak of each Psalm as a hill-top looking out over all of Scripture to find related examples and references.
3. To compile a small collection of hymns and spiritual songs that relate to each Psalm.
4. To share valuable tidbits I find in the treasure troves of godly men and women which relate to the Psalm at hand.  But realistically, don't expect gobs here ("Mommy! Mommy!")!
5. Most importantly, to let God's Word change me while I gain a greater appreciation of Who God is, what He has provided for us as His children, and how we can access the incredible resources offered to us.  To grow in godliness as a wife and mother, and to share these values with my children.

"SCHOLARLINESS" of This Study
I am just a homemaker with a desire to know God better.  God has blessed me immensely with resources that I'm compelled to use for His glory: a Christian home upbringing, becoming God's child at a young age, godly biblical teaching my entire life, a Bible college education, experience teaching children and adults, a vast assortment of resources in our personal library and beyond, a resident translator in my husband (who knows Greek and is learning Hebrew), and a yen to write.  Best of all, I have the Holy Spirit of God residing inside me as my Teacher and Guide.

This being said, I am not bragging one bit - for I know only too well how undeserving I am of these blessings, as well as how imperfect I am. I welcome you to add to the study and correct me if needed. I'm here to share in an informal setting what I am learning with anyone who cares to tag along.

.........................................................

Next TIME: Introduction to the Book of Psalms