Tuesday, July 6, 2010

WE: God & Me

"One thing I have desired of the LORD, that will I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in His temple. For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavilion; in the secret place of His tabernacle He shall hide me; He shall set me high upon a rock...When You said, 'Seek My face.' My heart said to You, 'Your face, LORD, I will seek.'
Psalm 27:4-5,8

"You thot Wii was fun ... re-INTRODUCING the riviting, ancient yet modern, adventure ReALiTy game called WEE! This game involves all the senses - it's exciting, gritty, mind numbing: Rated #1, Survivor? #2!: requiring all the skills of MOTHERHOOD! There are Wee people, Wee hours of the morning, (um ... wee wee), lots of Wee prayers said throughout the day ... Whee! Of course this is a team game - where would we be without WE - our wonderful husbands ... and fellow mothers unite! You can get this game almost anywhere ... but only sign up for it w/ much prayer and great caution - prepare for the BIGGEST challenge you've EVER experienced! WEE! It'll change your life!"

Okay, so my Facebook post today is a bit crazy! This profound thought came to me in the wee hours of the morning, so what can I say?

Singleness has it's challenges, NO DOUBT! I've been there, D.T., B.T.T-shirt. Yesterday my husband and I were discussing the Shakers. Bless their gizzards, they had a form of religiosity, but they didn't seem to plan ahead: being a devoutly celibate group they were pretty much destined to run out of people sooner or later.

Tim and I talked about how they had more time to devote to God and to serve Him, if they were truly His children. I know the verses in I Corinthians 7:32-35 which address how single people can spend more time devoted to the Lord. Amen! I remember the times of intimacy with God, and to be honest I miss those times as they are more rare since I've been married. I also miss having the time to be involved in as many church activities and other varied opportunities to serve the way I used to. Things simply change when a family comes along! The ministry focus shifts, but the opportunities to serve are just as great and are infinitely important.

I must say, however, that I told Tim that NOTHING has made me rely on God more than marriage and children. So, while I may not have as much time to pour over my Bible study and prayer time (ZZzzzzz), I do have a deeper knowledge of God's sustaining power in my weakness, and I do go to Him more often and with greater desperation throughout my days to touch base with my Boss and Supplier!

Having children and being married is humbling and the best sactifier I know of - thanks to God giving me a dear husband and two happy (sometimes) busy (always) little boys. Some other descriptive words that come to mind are: exasperating, mind numbing, the deepest joys I've ever known, rewarding, maddening, enough to drive someone crazy, and I'd not trade it for anything (most days).

Truly, whether we are single or married, we cannot face the challenges of life without God. So, let it be WE - you and God wherever you go, whatever you do!

Can you relate? I'd love to hear your comments whether married or single!

I'd like to end this post with one of my favorite poems:
from The Temple (1633), by George Herbert:


The Pulley

When God at first made man,
Having a
glasse of blessings standing by;
Let us (said he) poure on him all we can:
Let the worlds riches, which dispersed lie,
Contract into a span.

So strength first made a way;
Then beautie flow’d, then wisdome, honour, pleasure:
When almost all was out, God made a stay,
Perceiving that alone of all his treasure
Rest in the bottome lay.

For if I should (said he)
Bestow this jewell also on my creature,
He would adore my gifts in stead of me,
And rest in Nature, not the God of Nature:
So both should losers be.

Yet let him keep the rest,
But keep them with repining restlesnesse:
Let him be rich and wearie, that at least,
If goodnesse leade him not, yet wearinesse
May tosse him to my breast.

1 comment:

Tina said...

This is awesome devotion writing, very original and creative! You should submit this for publication!!
~Tina